**THIS CONTEST IS CLOSED. CHECK BACK IN OCTOBER 2019**
Thanks for your interest in the Darling Axe flash-fiction contest!
It's only $5 CAD to enter.
Once you have paid your entry fee, submit your story to email@example.com
Current prize pot: $250 CAD
100% of entry fees will go toward the prize. The prize has increased to $250 since we hit 50 submissions!
- Stories must not exceed 1000 words (title not included)
- Only original, unpublished work may be submitted
- One entry per person
- Word documents & PDFs accepted
- Judging is anonymous: submission should not include entrant's name or contact information
- The winning submission will be published on the Chopping Blog
- Two runners-up may also be published on the Chopping Blog
- Winner and runners-up will be notified by email
- Prize money will be awarded via Paypal
What is flash fiction?
Flash fiction is a fictional work of extreme brevity that still offers character and plot development. Identified varieties, many of them defined by word count, include the six-word story, the 280-character story (also known as "twitterature"), the "dribble" (also known as the "minisaga"; 50 words), the "drabble" (also known as "microfiction"; 100 words), "sudden fiction" (750 words), flash fiction (1,000 words), nanotale, and "micro-story".
Screening and judging will be done solely by Darling Axe editors. The entries will be screened by David Brown. The top five submissions will be judged anonymously by Michelle Barker.
The Darling Axe is not be liable for any loss or damage or for any personal injury sustained as a result of entering this contest or receipt of a prize or Chopping Blog publication. The Darling Axe is the sole sponsor of this contest.
The contest winner conveys first publication rights to the Darling Axe. The author fully retains copyright to his or her flash fiction piece. Runners-up will have the option to convey first publication rights to the Darling Axe, and they will also retain full copyright of their work.
By entering this contest, participants expressly agree to the contest rules and guidelines.