Check back next year!
The First Page Challenge is now closed :)
Thanks for your interest in the First Page Challenge!
It's only $5 CAD to enter, plus $30 CAD to receive feedback on your submission at the end of the contest. This will come in the form of a brief email about your entry's strengths and snags. Feedback will not be sent until after the contest closes.
For more info about the feedback, click here. If you want to enter the contest but not purchase the optional feedback, click here.
Once you have paid your entry fee, submit your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First place: $700 CAD
- Second place: $200 CAD
- Third place: $100 CAD
All three finalists win publication on the Chopping Blog and receive complimentary access to a Darling Axe self-paced course.
- One page, 12-point font, double spaced
- Multiple submissions accepted
- Only original, unpublished, unrepresented work may be submitted
- Word documents & PDFs accepted
- The winning submissions will be published on the Chopping Blog
- All entrants will be notified of winners and shortlist by email
- Prize money will be awarded via PayPal
- Conflict of interest: authors who have previously purchased a Darling Axe query critique or other editing service may not submit work with which we are already familiar (previous CONTEST FEEDBACK, however, is fine)
- Contest closes September 30
Screening and judging will be done solely by Darling Axe editors. The entries will be screened by David Brown. The top submissions will be judged anonymously by Michelle Barker.
A note on sincerity
Some so-called editing websites host writing contests as a ruse to then up-sell contestants into paying to have their submissions edited. A shifty trick indeed! We attest that this is a legitimate annual writing contest, and if winning entries ever need some editing, we will gladly assist without charge.
The Darling Axe is not be liable for any loss or damage or for any personal injury sustained as a result of entering this contest or receipt of a prize or Chopping Blog publication. The Darling Axe is the sole sponsor of this contest.
The three contest winners assign first publication rights to the Darling Axe, such that we may published your entry on our blog. Each author fully retains the copyright to his or her piece, and of course the full manuscript as well.
By entering this contest, participants expressly agree to the contest rules and guidelines.